|Harry Philip Fischer (1879-1949)|
One of the area's most notable and prolific photographers, Harry Philip Fischer was born November 9, 1879, in Marietta, the son of Philip and Anna Wendelken Fischer. The lens of his camera captured nearly 50 years of life in a small, but thriving, town with pictures of businesses, industries, schools, churches, parades, celebrations, homes, and families. Fischer's photographs have the power to bring people, places, and events of the past into the present. They provide a visual record and an emotional connection to a world that is gone forever.
|Second and Putnam streets, Marietta, Ohio, ca 1930|
|Macksburg High School girls' basketball team, Washington County, Ohio, 1924|
|Tommy Windsor, magician and ventriloquist|
Harry used a large 8" x 10" camera, probably Kodak, and in the early years of his work he captured images on 8" x 10" and 5" x 7" glass plates. By the 1920s he began using cellulose nitrate sheet film, which became notorious for its flammability. His later work was done with cellulose acetate, or "safety" film.
|Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co., employees, 530 Fourth Street, Marietta, 1927|
|Fischer Studio, 246 Front Street, Marietta|
Harry Philip Fischer died October 27, 1949. His widow, Daisy Elliott Fischer, placed the bulk of his photographic negatives in the care of the Marietta College library, and in 2008 Special Collections began a project to digitize the Fischer Collection. More than 8,000 images have been scanned and are available to the public online.
|Allen C. Hall family, Christmas, Marietta, Ohio, ca 1930|
Browse or search for photographs in the Harry Philip Fischer Collection at http://digicoll.marietta.edu/fischer
|View up Second Street, Marietta, ca 1930|